Calligraphy Classes in the Washington area
WCG members who teach calligraphy classes:
[Note to instructors: please send info]
- In Washington, Smithsonian Associates offers 8-session daytime classes spring and fall. Call 202-357-3030.
- In Washington (and occasionally elsewhere), Michele Hatty Fritz of Meant To Be Calligraphy regularly teaches.
- In Fairfax County at the Oak Marr Rec Center, Oakton VA, Gretchen Elson teaches Beginning Calligraphy starting Thurs, Sept 15, 10-12:30 for six weeks; and Italic Calligraphy beginning Nov 3. Gretchen will provide supplies if needed for both classes (pay by check). To register click here, then
fill in Search Text: Calligraphy;
Category: Fine Arts;
Place: Oak Marr Rec Center;
Instructor: Elson. (To register for the second class, put Italic in the search box.)
- In Frederick, MD at Frederick Community College (FCC) Jodie Lide will teach Beginning Calligraphy: Italic on
Fridays, 10-noon, August 19 - October 7, 2022 and Continuing Calligraphy
October 21 - December 16. It will be listed in both the calalogs for the Lifelong Learning/Continuing Education and the Institute For Learning In Retirement (ILR). The ILR is for ages 55 and up and includes a slight discount! In both catalogs it usually appears under the Home and Hobbies section. Browse classes and register
- Arabic Calligraphy Workshops by Scripts 'n' Scribes
- Boston, MA: Calligraphy and manuscript courses in Boston and Hingham, MA taught by WCG member Maryanne Grebenstein of The Abbey Studio.
John Neal Bookseller has compiled a list of online calligraphy classes by some of the best teachers worldwide.
Credits: "Calligraphy" and Foundational examples "n" and "u" by Sheila Waters. Initial R by Lubna Zahid.
"If the doors" William Blake quotation lettered by Randall Hassan. Fox by Denis Brown and Annie Cicale (r). Blackletter class demo by Julian Waters.
Below left: John Stevens; Denis Brown's
detail of work on vellum, including raised and flat gilding, done when he was 20.