Calligrafest: Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010!
Washington's top calligraphers will be demonstrating their art and selling their work at the Washington Calligraphers Guild's 10th annual Calligrafest, an all-day festival of the lettering arts. Everyone who enjoys looking at and learning about artful lettering, browsing through art supplies and how-to books, and shopping for unique gifts will love Calligrafest. Contact co-chairs Ike Cole or Tamara Stoneburner for information.
Saturday, Nov. 13,
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
West Springfield High School
6100 Rolling Road
Directions: From the Beltway in Virginia (I-495) take the Braddock Road West exit (exit 54 West). Drive west on Braddock Road approx. 1.8 miles to Rolling Road. Turn left and go approx. 1.8 miles to West Springfield HS on the right. The entrance for Calligrafest is Door #10, on the extreme right end of the school (when facing the front of the school). Parking is free (the major parking lot is on the left side of the school and some parking is available in front).
See location on map
Admission $5 (children under 12 free)
Bring your postcard or this page to receive $1 off!
Please bring cash a/o checks to Calligrafest, as WCG cannot take credit cards.
Refreshments will be available for a small donation.
What is Calligrafest?
All-day demonstrations by Washington's top calligraphers, unique art supplies and books to browse and buy, and hand-lettered artwork for sale. Come to Washington's only annual calligraphy fair!
We are grateful to these companies for their generous support of CalligraFest:
Dick Blick Art Materials
Since 1911, artists have turned to Dick Blick Art Materials for dependable savings, a huge selection, and fine customer service on art supplies.
The 32 Paper Source stores offer a unique selection of fine and artisanal papers, stationery, invitations, gift wrap, greeting cards and gifts.
Cheap Joe's Art Stuff
Huge array of fine art supplies for all media at the lowest prices; browse the online catalog.
Paradise Pen Company has 21 locations in the U.S., selling fine writing instruments and gifts.
ColArt Americas Inc.
ColArt is the leading supplier of artists’ materials worldwide, including Winsor & Newton and Liquitex.
- Paper & Ink Arts (huge selection of unique art supplies, tools, books and gifts from the Woodsboro, MD store owned by Brenda Broadbent). Brenda is accepting pre-orders until November 8. Your supplies will be ready for pick-up at Calligrafest!
- Sheila Waters will be selling her acclaimed prints. She will also letter names on bookmarks to benefit the Guild and answer questions about calligraphy.
- Julian Waters will be selling his acclaimed prints. He will also letter names on bookmarks to benefit the Guild and answer questions about calligraphy.
- Tamara Stoneburner will display her framed scannography and photography. From 1-2 pm she'll demonstrate script lettering with the pointed pen.
- Letterpress printer Jason Taylor of Thousand Pound Press will be creating a plate from calligraphy and printing samples. Learn about historic printing techniques and why letterpress is enjoying a revival.
- Michael Gilbert of Dark Horse Gallery will be demonstrating goldleaf gilding throughout the day. Michael specializes in frame restoration and gilding and is a member of the Society of Gilders.
- Parchment and vellum maker Pergamena, represented by Stephen Meyer, will be selling whole skins as well as cut sheets to make vellums more "accessible" to calligraphers.
- 10:30 - 11:30 am: Tips and Techniques of Envelope Addressing with Mary Lou O'Brian. Learn how to letter envelopes using a lightbox with a template, how to work with lined/unlined envelopes, how to handle unusual paper surfaces, how to approach clients and discuss pricing and content, etc.
- 11:30 am - 1 pm:
Pointed-Brush Lettering with
Jennifer Nicholson, calligrapher for the U.S. Department of State
- 1 - 2 pm:
Copperplate Script Lettering with
T.M. Stoneburner of Gracestone Calligraphics Studio. At her vendor table,
Tamara will demonstrate pointed pen lettering and compare various nibs as to their flexibility, strength, and hairlines.
- Throughout the day: Sheila Waters and Julian Waters will demonstrate calligraphy at their vendor tables while lettering bookmarks with the broad-edged pen to benefit the Guild. Thousand Pound Press will be printing samples of calligraphy on their vintage letterpress. Michael Gilbert of Dark Horse Gallery will use gold leaf to gild a wooden frame.
Mini-workshops for all levels, $20 per session ($18 in advance).
If you are planning to attend a mini-workshop at CalligraFest, please reserve your spot (and discount) by e-mailing Tamara Stoneburner.
- 10-11:30 -- Parallel Pen for Beginners and Experts with Brenda Broadbent. Learn how to use this sharp and convenient pen for fun AND professional work. DOWNLOAD FLIER with enrollment form.
- Noon-1:30 -- Foundational with Shane Perry. Introduction to this important lettering style that is the foundation of many hands. DOWNLOAD FLIER with enrollment form.
Graceful Envelope Contest winners
Hand-lettered and uniquely illustrated envelopes selected as this year's winners of the Graceful Envelope Contest will be on display.
Browse our huge CalligraFlea market for bargains on gently used books and supplies! Contact Jerry Jacobson or Patricia Minard at [email protected] or 703-734-2497 to donate.
We have many high-quality books in a wide range of topics, including calligraphy techniques from basic to advanced; drawing, layout and design; color calligraphy; brush lettering; and many more -- all at bargain prices. We have an extensive collection of periodicals, too, with numerous copies of Letter Arts Review, Calligraphy Review, journals from the Society of Scribes and Illuminators, and others. There are also calligraphy supplies, such as papers, inks, a wide variety of nibs, pens, pencils and curiosities. There is something for everyone, with everything priced to be affordable.
Artwork, items of historic value and unique lettering accessories will be on display beginning at 10:30 am. The Guild is not set up to accept credit card transactions, so only cash and checks can be accepted. [If you have artwork or art-related items to donate for the auction, please contact Tamara Stoneburner.] The Silent Auction closes at 3 pm, when the highest bidder listed on each item's sheet is announced. Participants do not have to be present to win or receive their items, as long as they provide the necessary contact information on the bidding sheet.
>> Sample of items in the Silent Auction
Raffle drawings for great prizes! Multiple winners at each drawing!
| Try it yourself table --
play with calligraphy pens (included with admission)
|Refreshments will be available for a small donation.